JOIN THE PUYALLUP WATERSHED INITIATIVE TEAM AS OUR NEW CONTROLLER
Every role within the Puyallup Watershed Initiative (the Initiative) is critical towards realizing positive social and environmental impact in our shared Puyallup Watershed. At the Initiative we value working as a team in collaboration and cooperation with people who live, work, and play in the Puyallup Watershed
The Controller Critical Contributions are the following:
• Creates, implements, and ensures the integrity of the policies, processes, and practices that govern the Initiative’s financial objectives, strategies, and compliance
• Advances efficiencies and cohesiveness of the Initiative’s financial infrastructure and management
• Guides organizational financial health through quantitative analysis, evaluation, and forecasting that informs planning and decision-making processes
• Serves as a thought partner within the Initiative that inspires, provokes, and develops new approaches
About the Initiative:
The Puyallup Watershed Initiative (the Initiative) launched in 2012 as a new model for community-centered change and aims to improve social and environmental conditions throughout the watershed that comprises more than 1,000 square miles from Mt. Rainier to Commencement Bay. The Initiative values transparency, accountability, inclusivity, collaboration, and learning. We seek to demonstrate these values in all our activities and our workplace. The Initiative is committed to all people’s right to a healthy environment and to participate in the decisions that most affect their lives.
As an organization committed to collaboration and learning, we apply what we learn from our actions, the work of our Communities of Interest, and our community partners to improve upon the past. By sharing what we learn and collaborating with community partners, we hope to help others do the same.
In 2018, the Initiative became a 501(c)(3) organization. We are in an intense time of growth, transition, and opportunity that will deepen, expand, and strengthen the collective work moving forward. It is a pivotal time of reflection, assessment, and evaluation as the Initiative continues our journey towards organizational maturity. This means our team members must be able to navigate ambiguity during times of transition while working towards clarity. The Controller is relied upon for critical contributions that anchor organizational sustainability and enable the Initiative’s journey into maturity.
Still interested…keep reading below!
About the Position:
The Initiative seeks team members who are open-minded and lifelong learners that embody can-do attitudes with empathy. We share a passion for bringing together people, ideas, and actions from diverse experiences within the Puyallup Watershed.
We believe in creating conditions for every team member to thrive. To put this belief in practice, we prepare a position and role(s) assessment guided by equity hiring practices. Please note that the assessment is organized by three categories [Critical to Have, Great to Have, Bonus to Have]. This allows you as an interested candidate to self-assess if this Initiative opportunity aligns with your abilities, skills, capacity, and potential towards the Critical Contributions expected of the Controller.
Within the larger Initiative team, this position functions across four key roles:
To excel in this position, you will need these essential lenses:
It is CRITICAL that you have…
It is GREAT if you have
It is a BONUS if you also have…
Example tasks/responsibilities for the Controller:
• Directs financial accounting and reporting activities that includes:
• Leads development and establishment of financial and accounting policies, procedures, and systems that maintain data integrity while streamlining processes
• Creates financial models for cost analysis, pricing, and projecting cash flow that directly contributes to strategic planning, budgeting, and forecasting
• Prepares, analyzes, and communicates complex financial information to a wide variety of audiences
• Oversees organizational risk management including insurance and regulatory compliance
• Serves as primary point of contact and maintains relationships with third parties such as banks, accounting firms, insurance, etc.
How to Apply:
The Initiative is on an aggressive hiring timeline, and we will review applications as they are received. The preferred start date is Monday, June 24, 2019. To apply for this opportunity to impact the Puyallup Watershed please attach an introduction letter detailing your interest that includes the following:
The salary range for this position is $75,000 - $85,000 annually, depending on experience. The Initiative offers a competitive benefits package to team members including medical, vision, and dental insurance, life insurance, generous paid time off, remote work options, family-affirming work conditions, and 401k retirement savings plan. We believe in and strive for workforce diversity.
Puyallup Watershed Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race; color; sex (including gender identity and expression); sexual orientation; pregnancy (including parental and nursing mother status); religion; creed; national origin; citizenship; ancestry; political affiliation; victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking; marital status; disability; genetic and medical information; age; membership in an employee organization; retaliation; military service and veteran status; or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact our team member Sarah for support at 253.212.0434.